ZANU-PF puts expulsions on hold


ZANU-PF spokesman, Simon Khaya Moyo

THE ZANU-PF Politburo has put on hold several disciplinary cases, saying they must be fully investigated to before a decision is taken on affected members.

This was after the party’s National Disciplinary Committee (NDC) tabled a report from various provinces.

ZANU-PF spokesman, Simon Khaya Moyo, who addressed journalists at the end of the meeting at the party’s national headquarters in Harare Wednesday, said the NDC had failed to conclude some of the cases on time and the Politburo therefore felt the cases needed to be handled with more care and clarity.

The move is a departure from its recent practice whereby the Politburo, ZANU-PF’s highest decision making organ outside congress, has preferred harsh sanction on party members accused of causing divisions even in instances where hearings are not conducted.

The ruling party is torn between two camps battling to succeed President Robert Mugabe when he exits the political scene.

The majority of those affected by disciplinary cases belong to Team Lacoste, a faction linked to Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa. The faction currently appears to be playing second fiddle to the other faction known as Generation 40.

Wednesday’s decision could have come as an anti-climax given the hype it got from the press, which seemed to suggest that harsh decisions would be taken.

It had been expected that former war veterans’ minister, Chris Mutsvangwa, currently suspended for three years, would be expelled from the party.

But Khaya-Moyo said the Politburo did not even discuss Mutsvangwa’s name.

The cases of three suspended provincial chairmen, Ezra Chadzamira (Masvingo), Joel Biggie Matiza (Mashonaland East) and Kizito Chivamba (Midlands), were also expected to come under discussion.

“Their cases were referred back to the NDC which has been asked to investigate further before any conclusion is made. The meeting agreed that every case must be properly heard and justice must be served,” Khaya-Moyo said.

He also said the cases of youth league boss, Pupurai Togarepi, the league’s secretary for administration, Lewis Matutu, and his deputy, Sibongile Sibanda, were referred back to the NDC for further review.

Follow us on Twitter on @FingazLive and on Facebook – The Financial Gazette