Timeline of events leading up to Zuma's Nkandla apology

Timeline of events leading up to Zuma's Nkandla apology

Lizeka Tandwa, News24

Johannesburg – President Jacob Zuma apologised on live television on Friday evening for the manner in which the Nkandla saga had been handled.

Below is a timeline of the events running up to the televised apology and his commitment to pay back the money for non-security updates to his Nkandla home in KwaZulu-Natal:

November 2011

It began in 2011 when the weekly newspaper Mail & Guardian broke the story about substantial upgrades at Zuma's Nkandla homestead, costing R60m at the time.

The Mail & Guardian uncovered that a network of underground bunkers had been built at Nkandla, with Zuma’s family employed by the contractors.

November 2012

In November 2012, Zuma claimed in Parliament that upgrades to his homestead had been paid for by his family.

January 13

The DA asked Public Protector Thuli Madonsela in January 2013 to launch an investigation into the spending on upgrades at Nkandla.

December 2013

In December 2013, Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi told City Press that Zuma would not pay for any part of the Nkandla upgrades.

Madonsela said her report would be released in January 2014. She reportedly said the year had been difficult because of challenges in her completion of the investigation into the spending on Zuma's home.

ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe claimed that Madonsela’s office leaked details from the provisional report on the Nkandla upgrades to the Mail & Guardian.

News24 reported that Madonsela had denied that any leaks came from her office.

An interministerial task team report on the security upgrades at Nkandla announced that Zuma had been cleared.

March 2014 Madonsela found in her report, Secure in Comfort, in March 2014 that Zuma and his family had unduly benefited from upgrades which amounted to R246m.
Zuma released a statement that he would consider Madonsela’s report in April.

An ad hoc committee was established to review Madonsela’s report, and conduct its own investigation. The ad hoc committee disbanded and the EFF demanded the reestablishment of the committee.

August 2014

In August 2014 Zuma responded to Madonsela's report in Parliament.

May 2015

The EFF caused chaos in Parliament chanting "Pay Back the Money" and disrupting proceedings.

Police Minister Nkosinathi Nhleko reported that Zuma would not have to pay back public money spent on his Nkandla home. He released video showing the "fire pool". The Nkandla ad hoc committee officially adopted Nhleko’s report.

September 2015

The EFF took Zuma to the Constitutional Court, quickly followed by the DA. Madonsela then joined the EFF and the DA.

February 2016

Zuma announced, just days before the case in the Constitutional Court was heard, that he would now pay back the money.

March 2016

The Constitutional Court found that Zuma and Parliament had flouted the Constitution by ignoring the Public Protector's findings. It also found that Zuma must pay for some of the upgrades.

April 2016

Zuma apologised to the nation, saying the Constitutional Court judgment was helpful for future clarification.