Rescuers to work through the night after bridge collapse
Johannesburg - Rescuers are expected to work through the night following the collapse of a temporary bridge along the M1 highway in Sandton.
News24 reporter Lizeka Tandwa reported that while they were still trying to retrieve a body trapped under it, the operation was likely to be complicated.
"Rescuers are still trying to assess how to retrieve the body. Once they have done that, they will start to remove the steel beams and the debris," she said.
Tandwa reported that City of Johannesburg Emergency Medical Services spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi said the mission was complicated because they needed to ensure that rescuers were safe when retrieving the body.
Paramedics confirmed earlier that two people were dead and 23 were injured following the collapse.
Murray & Roberts, the company responsible for the construction, said it was probing the incident.
Company spokesperson Ed Jardim said at the time they did not immediately have all the details of the incident, but had sent people to the scene.
Traffic was gridlocked as a result of the incident.
The City of Johannesburg tweeted late on Wednesday night that, in light of the incident, all Putco services from Soweto will be free on Thursday as well as Gautrain bus services.