5 000 Kya Sands protesters set to hand over memo
Lauren Hess, News24
Johannesburg - Protesters were set to hand over a memorandum to officials on Monday following action where stones were thrown at cars and the police fired rubber bullets.
Both Johannesburg Metro Police (JMP) and South African Police Service (Saps) spokespersons confirmed the number of protesters swelled from about 200 early in the morning to about 5 000.
JMP department spokesperson Wayne Minnaar said motorists should still avoid the area around Malibongwe and Riverbend roads as there were rocks and other debris in the street.
“It’s not safe,” he said.
However, SAPS spokesperson Warrant Officer Balan Muthan said “the situation is calm” and “the roads are open”.
He said the protest was over a lack of housing.
Earlier on Monday morning, police fired rubber bullets and teargas at protesters.