Petrol-bombed Intercape bus passengers still in hospital

Tammy Petersen, News24

Cape Town - Four passengers who sustained serious burns when an Intercape bus was petrol bombed in Lwandle last week remain in hospital, the company said.

“One of the five passengers… admitted after the tragic petrol bombing [of the bus] was discharged from hospital on Friday afternoon. The remaining four hospitalised passengers’ conditions are stable,” a spokesperson said on Tuesday.

The company has set up a crisis centre to deal with inquiries to “provide support to those involved in and affected by the incident”.

“Intercape has already called on all passengers to submit claims for lost luggage and personal items which may have been destroyed in the fire. We will also provide financial assistance with immediate expenses, medical costs and funeral costs.”

Two men were killed and 34 people were injured when the bus was petrol bombed in Onverwacht Street, Lwandle, on September 15.

The motive for the attack is being investigated.

Claims that striking National Union of Metalworkers of SA workers were behind the attack were rubbished by the union's provincial secretary Vuyo Lufele last week.

Bus drivers have been on strike since last month after hostesses were retrenched, leading to bus drivers having to cover this service as well, he said.

He said the union and the company had been “moving forward in terms of our discussions" and Numsa members would have had no reason to commit the crime.

Provincial police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel André Traut said on Tuesday there were no new developments.