DA wants to join EFF in ConCourt Nkandla challenge
Jenni Evans, News24
Johannesburg - The DA hopes to join the EFF in a Constitutional Court application to have the National Assembly and the police minister's handling of the Nkandla report declared unlawful and unconstitutional.
In an affidavit filed at the Constitutional Court on Monday by DA federal chairperson James Selfe, the party says its own concerns over the handling of the R246m spent on upgrades to President Jacob Zuma's home overlap with those of the EFF.
As a result, they say, it would be in the public interest to join them on February 9, 2016 - the date set for the EFF's application.
The opposition party will submit that Police Minister Nathi Nhleko had no right to compile a report on behalf of Jacob Zuma, after Public Protector Thuli Madonsela had asked Zuma to explain.
If there were any disputes, they were supposed to have been raised by Madonsela.
Nhleko declared that Zuma owed nothing, because features such as a cattle culvert and a swimming pool were actually related to keeping the president secure.
The new cattle fence was built because the cows were setting off the alarms on the old one, and the swimming pool doubled as a water source in case of a fire, it was explained.
Madonsela's probe into the upgrades at the president's private home concluded that Zuma should pay back a reasonable portion for work that had nothing to do with security.
The DA had already put in an application to the Western Cape High Court on August 19 to challenge Zuma and the National Assembly's failure to comply with the protector's recommendations, but decided that it should ask for permission to join the EFF application set for February.
The millions spent on upgrades to Zuma's home has almost paralysed Parliament as proceedings grind to a halt whenever it is raised with the EFF shouting "pay back the money" and DA leader Mmusi Maimane calling Zuma "a broken man".
The DA said it would focus on two specific resolutions taken in the National Assembly on November 13, 2014 and August 18, 2015, which "manifest the same failure by the National Assembly".
It believes the task team convened by the minister of public works in October 2012 and the Special Investigations Unit was likewise unconstitutional and unlawful.
"Given the overlap in the EFF’s and the DA's applications, the DA submits that the interests of justice require that the DA's application in this court be heard at the same time as the EFF's application."