SIU claws back millions from light-fingered KZN civil servants

Amanda Khoza, News24

Durban – The Special Investigation Unit has recovered more than half a billion rand stolen by government officials in KwaZulu-Natal in the last two years, Premier Senzo Mchunu said on Monday.

Mchunu said significant strides had been made in fighting the war against corruption in the province since he took over as premier two years ago.

"The Special Investigation Unit has recovered R536 500 000 which was stolen [by government officials] and a significant number of government employees have been fired while others were still facing disciplinary action. Others are attending court cases," the premier said.

"Approximately R14.7 million was recovered from 1 567 officials who benefited irregularly from housing subsidies.

"Investigations are still on-going even in other departments… law enforcement agencies [must continue] to do their work freely.

Mchunu said a number of corrupt officials had either been suspended or dismissed thanks to swift action from authorities.

"From non-performing schools [to] poor performing municipalities, we have been the first to react and implement swift corrective measures."

Mchunu said KZN was among three provinces whose municipalities had received the most number of clean audits.