No intention to stop dual citizenship - ANC
Genevieve Quintal, News24
Johannesburg - The ANC and government have not taken any decision to penalise anyone who has dual citizenship, the party said on Thursday.
There was also no intention to introduce such a policy, national ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said in a statement.
"The status quo remains in terms of home affairs regulations on dual citizenship.
"We want to reassure South Africans that in terms of our national policies, we are aligned with the generally accepted practice by the majority of countries in the world who recognise dual citizenship," Kodwa said.
This comes after ANC international relations subcommittee chairperson Obed Bapela reportedly called for the dual citizenship policy to be reviewed.
Bapela was quoted in the Sunday Times as being concerned about SA citizens fighting in the Israel Defence Force.
On Wednesday, Bapela told News24 that the party would be discussing the policy at its national general council next week.
ANC leaders are also expected to meet the Jewish Board of Deputies next week to discuss its concerns regarding this and other matters concerning the Jewish community.
Earlier on Thursday, Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba said there were "absolutely" no plans to review the SA Citizenship Act with regards to dual citizenship.