Mandela Bay by-election result will send 'shockwave' through ANC - Trollip

Genevieve Quintal, News24

Johannesburg - The ANC will not be able to win a majority in 2016 if the results of a Nelson Mandela Bay by-election are replicated in other wards, the DA in the Eastern Cape said on Thursday.

The UDM snagged Ward 30 from the ANC in Wednesday's by-election held in the Nelson Mandela Bay municipality, and the DA said the result was significant in the broader context.

DA provincial leader and mayoral candidate Athol Trollip said in a statement that the result took the DA a step closer to winning the metro in next year's local government elections.

However, the ANC said the DA should not celebrate yet, as the official opposition party's performance in the by-election was "dismal".

"The DA should be the last to issue a statement because their performance was dismal in that ward," ANC national spokesperson Zizi Kodwa told News24.

"It [shows] that if people are angry with the ANC, their alternative is not the DA and that is why the DA must not celebrate."

'Shockwaves through the ANC'

The UDM's candidate Mandla Louis Faltein won the seat in the ward with 49.93% of the vote.

Trollip said the by-election result would send "shockwaves through the ANC".

"They are now on a slippery slope as they have lost their second consecutive by-election within a year where they had previously held a comfortable majority."

Kodwa admitted the result was a wake-up call.

"This is a strong ANC ward, but this is a wake-up call that we should not take support for granted.

"From the ANC point of view we put it bluntly - we donated a ward to the UDM," he said.

Kodwa said he did not think service delivery in the ward was the reason why the ANC did not retain its seat, because the party had provided the majority of that area with formal housing and roads.

"We accept the outcome and go back to the drawing board.

"We need to go back and find out from them what happened."