DA in bid to stop Western Cape tolling
Genevieve Quintal, News24
Cape Town - The DA will approach the Western Cape High Court on Tuesday in a bid to have Sanral's decision to toll sections of the N1 and N2 set aside.
About 180km of highway will be tolled should the Winelands Toll Highway project go ahead.
Last month, the SA National Roads Agency CEO Nazir Alli told the Cape Chamber of Commerce and Industry that the benefits of the proposed project would far outweigh the cost to road users.
Alli pointed out that the "user pay" principle for tolled roads was firmly entrenched as part of government policy.
The city is concerned about the impact the tolls would have on the economy and its residents.
Cape Town transport mayoral committee member Brett Herron said the Sanral board never made the decision to declare the N1 and N2 as toll roads as it was required to do.
"By implication, we will argue that the decision to toll was made by the CEO of Sanral who was unauthorised to do so."
Sanral spokesperson Vusi Mona in April said that it was “totally wrong” to say Alli took the decision on his own as the toll road declaration was made at ministerial level.
Mona also emphasised that the sections of road were deteriorating and that Sanral wanted to start work on the highway as soon as possible.