Medical worker dies in Eastern Cape hospital fire

Adam Wakefield, News24

Johannesburg - A medical worker has died in a fire at the residential section of Tafalofefe hospital in Butterworth, the Eastern Cape health department said on Friday.

"A staff member was sleeping and it appears the heater was on and the house caught fire," spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said.

"The guards used 25 fire extinguishers. The fire brigade came after the fire was already extinguished by the guards. The person was declared dead of smoke inhalation."

The department has not released the name of the victim yet. It urged the public to be extra careful while using heaters this winter.