Firefighters tackle office block blaze in Gardens

Jenna Etheridge, News24

Cape Town - A fire broke out on the top storey of an office block and restaurant in Gardens on Tuesday afternoon, but no injuries were reported.

"The probable cause of the fire is an electrical short circuit," the city’s fire and rescue services spokesperson Theo Layne said in a message.

He said people evacuated the building on the corner of Union and Morkel Streets prior to firefighters arriving around 14:30.

There was no need to remove people from the neighbouring Lady Hamilton Hotel.

The building was converted from a residential block. Images of the building showed a charred roof an large plumes of smoke.

Rooms on the top floor also seemed to be gutted.

Firefighters damped down hot spots and removed burning debris. It was extinguished around 17:00.

A few would remain on scene to ensure people's safety and to hand over the building to occupants.

News24 Source: