City of Luanda Celebrates 434th Anniversary
Luanda - The population of Luanda city is commemorating Monday, January 25, the 434th anniversary of its foundation in 1575, Angop has learnt.
In 1575 the Portuguese captain Paudo Dias de Novais, while arriving at Cabo Island, set the first nucleus of Portuguese colonies: about 700 people, 350 of them armed men, religious, leaders, traders and public servants.
One year later, in 1576, acknowledging that there was not a firm place, he advanced for the firm land and founded São Paulo de Assunção de Luanda, and launched the foundation stone for the building of a church dedicated to São Sebastião, where is the Museum of the Armed Forces.
Thirty years later, with the increase of the European population and the number of buildings, the village became a city, by extending itself from São Miguel to the bordering square of the former Maria Pia Hospital, currently Josina Machel.
In the period of Iberia union, in 1618, was constructed São Pedro da Barra fortress. The city became the administrative centre of Angola, since 1627.
In 1634, was constructed São Miguel de Luanda fortress. The city was conquered and was under domination of the Dutch company of the Western Indies, in 1641/1648, when was recovered for the Portuguese crown by an expedition sent from the Port Authority of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, by Salvador Correia de Sá e Benevides.
By 1847, including the public buildings, the city had 144 first floor houses, 275 ground-floor and 1058 cheap residences.
In 1898, the Governor Brito Capelo inaugurated a system that supplied drinking water to Luanda, opening the way for the city's growth. In 1877, Luanda was considered as Paris of Africa.
According to the latest studies Luanda has currently over 5 million inhabitants.