When “Parking” Meant “Making Space for Trees”

Once upon a time 'parking' on streets meant 'making land available for trees', as in a law passed by the US Congress on April 6, 1870 authorizing the city of Washington DC to set aside up to 50 percent of the width of a street for the creation of “parks for trees and walks”. Senate debated whether to have “the parking on either side of the street and the roadway in the center” or to have the “parking” in the center of the street.

read more