LOC happy with SA's transport, safety plans
By Professor Ndawonde
Johannesburg - The 2010 FIFA World Cup Local Organising Committee is confident that government has the correct safety and transport plans in place, ahead of the world's largest soccer event next year.
After meeting with the Minister of Police Nathi Mthethwa and Minister for Transport Sibusiso Ndebele on Wednesday, Chief Executive Officer, Dr Danny Jordaan, said the country was moving in the right direction.
"Their plans clearly show that government is committed to working towards providing adequate and safe transport and implementing significant security measures. The plans in place will ensure that we stage the World Cup in a safe environment," Jordaan told BuaNews.
He had been apprehensive after concerns were raised around these two aspects during the recent FIFA Confederations Cup.
However, after hearing reports from the two ministers, he said he was "certain that will not be a problem at all during the World Cup".
As the host country, South Africa has the responsibility of making sure that teams and fans have adequate and safe transport and are able to follow their teams to whichever host city they play in.
"They must make sure that air and road transport systems are adequate to transport the vast number of fans," said Jordaan.
He added that both ministers had made significant efforts to ensure challenges around safety and security were addressed.
"The government input in this regard is very important because when fans are travelling to and from fan parks and stadiums they must be safe. When they use intercity transport modes, they must be safe and when they use inner city transport, they must be safe."
South Africa is expecting more than 500 000 visitors to arrive in the country during the World Cup which kicks of in June next year. - BuaNews
var infolink_pid = 38942;