HSE (Safety Heath & Envionment) MANAGER - Power Generation Industry
POSITION: Safety Health and Environment (SHE) Manager
OPPORTUNTITY: Not to be missed - can launch your career in the specialist fields of alternate energy industry!!! If you are a BEE candidate - this may just be for you?
COMPANY: This multi disciplinary practice specialises in design, financing, construction and operation of public facilites and energy plants. This is part of a group which finances property development and management as well as construction and has a specialist division for investment.
LIMITED DURATION CONTRACT OR FULL TIME: Full Time - for 30 months
PRIMARY LOCATION: On site in the Northern Cape
DESCRIPTION: The incumbent will report to the General Manager: Energy within the company but will be seconded to one of the first concentrated solar power (CSP) plant projects ever developed in South Africa to be located in the Northern Cape. The incumbent will form part of the construction team in the EPC contractor and will carry out the SHE role as directed by the Site Manager. They will have overall responsibility for managing occupational health, safety and environment to achieve compliance and excellence on site by eliminating or reducing injuries and environmental impact.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS AND RESPONSIBILITY
Key performance areas may include, amongst others, the following:
• Develop a SHE strategy and an SHE plan for the project
• Develop SHE policies and procedures for the project
• Manage the rest of the SHE team for the project
• Ensure that the site meets all local, national, legal and project standards on occupational health, safety and environment.
• Liaise with external stakeholders such as the client, the Department of Labour, the Department of Health, the Provincial Environmental Department, the local municipalities and/or a local hospital on SHE matters, as and when required.
• Ensure that the Record of Decision and the Environmental Management Plan for the project are adhered to.
• Ensure that the environmental impact of the project is minimised.
• Work with the SHE team to ensure that major risks on site are identified, eliminated or mitigated
• Establish the necessary management and communication structures on site to manage all SHE risks that may arise and in the control of the project team, subcontractors and suppliers.
• Ensure that the necessary SHE auditing systems are in place
• Ensure that adequate SHE records and trends are kept up to date at all times
• Ensure that key project team members and subcontractor personnel receive regular and relevant SHE training.
QUALIFICATION CRITERIA: Matric, a relevant NQ6 / tertiary SHE related educational qualification and SHE certification.
EXPERIENCE: At least 10 years’ experience in the SHE field with at least 5 years in a management role and 5 years construction/ engineering experience required. Intimate knowledge of the OHS Act (1993), the Construction Regulations (2003) and a previous working relationship with key stakeholders in SHE are requirements for this position. Exposure to the South African energy sector would be an added advantage.
The employer will offer a competitive salary package that is in line with the skills and experience of the incumbent.
Please note - Our Client wishes to make a decision before the end of April 2013 - if at all possible, so please ensure you are ahead of the pack - let me have your details soonest. Many thanks Jacqui Tuck