Rwanda replaces Mushikiwabo, announces new defence minister

3 weeks 6 days ago

Rwanda’s President Paul Kagame on Thursday appointed a new foreign affairs minister, to replace Louise Mushikiwabo, in a mini cabinet reshuffle that also included a new defence minister.

Following Mushikiwabo’s election as secretary-general of the International Organisation of La Francophonie (OIF) last week, a replacement foreign affairs minister was expected.

Kagame, whose country has commendable diplomatic credentials named Richard Sezibera, a former secretary general of the East African Community regional bloc, as the new foreign minister.

54-year-old Sezibera also previously served as health minister.

New defence minister

The president’s office also announced that Albert Murasira, an army general, would replace long-serving James Kabarebe as defense minister, without giving a reason for the decision.

Kabarebe, an influential figure in the restive Great Lakes region, will now serve as a presidential advisor on security affairs.

He was one of seven close associates of Kagame, charged in France with instigating the 1994 attack on the Rwandan President Juvénal Habyarimana’s plane, considered to be the trigger for the genocide that killed 800,000 people according to the UN, mainly in the Tutsi minority.

Last week, the state prosecutor in France, request that charges against Kabarebe and his colleagues are dropped because of lack of ‘sufficient evidence’.

The president also named new ministers for local government, trade and industry, ICT and innovation, gender and family promotion, and sports and culture, as well as a new police chief and an external security head.

Oil search: Rwanda may invite investors for exploration https://t.co/Q4U3Ksn7N6— africanews (@africanews) 18 octobre 2018

Ozmic

Cameroon opposition candidate says October 7 election was 'apartheid'

3 weeks 6 days ago

Cameroon’s opposition candidate, Joshua Osih of the Social Democratic Front (SDF) has described the October 7 election as ‘apartheid’, arguing that the Anglophone people in the North West and South West regions did not vote.

Osih, who was presenting the SDF petition before the Constitutional Council, urged the court to restore order and save the country from ‘eminent collapse’.

“No election took place in the North West and South West regions…the people could not vote because they are Anglophone and that is apartheid,” Osih argued.

The election in the English-speaking North West and South West regions, was marred by low turnout and isolated incidents of unrest, as separatists sought to prevent participation in the vote.

ALSO READ: Investigate atrocities in Anglophone Cameroon: U.N. genocide expert

While majority of Cameroon’s 23 million people are French-speaking, about a fifth of the population is English-speaking. The Anglophone minority has long complained about marginalisation which led to protests by teachers and lawyers over a period of time.

Election petitions dismissed

The court on Thursday night, also dismissed a petition by opposition candidate Maurice Kamto, which called for the cancellation of the election, on the basis of massive and systematic fraud.

The court’s president, Clément Atangana declared that ‘debates are over’, after the petitions were deemed “unjustified” by all members of the Constitutional Council “unanimously”.

This official body is responsible for studying post-election disputes before proclaiming the results of the presidential elections of 7 October.

Throughout the election and during the hearing of election petitions that started on Tuesday, Cameroon’s electoral body Elecam defended its organisation of the poll and said it had not seen any proof of fraud.

Government spokesman Issa Tchiroma Bakary also dismissed allegations of fraud.

Ozmic
Checked
38 minutes 24 seconds ago
Subscribe to Ozmic World (tm) feed