Plea for protection of historic sites
Pretoria - National Heritage Council CEO Sonwabile Mancotywa has called on community members to desist from vandalising sites of historic significance.
Speaking at a memorial of six South Africans who were killed in Lesotho between 1982 and 1986, Mancotywa noted that many sites with historical significance have been vandalised.
"Fifty years from now, these sites of significance must remain intact through active protection by government and communities," Mancotywa said.
The lives of six fallen heroes Mzwanele Fazzie, Lepota Marai, Sipho Notana, Mzukisi Skweyiya, Cassius Barnabas and Boniswa Ncukana were remembered during a public mass memorial service held on Monday at Sisa Dukashe Stadium in the Eastern Cape during the commemoration of Human Rights Day.
Their remains were repatriated from Lesotho earlier this month and will be reburied in their respective hometowns.
Mancotywa said the event was to commemorate the lives that were lost in search of human rights in South Africa and celebrate the rights of democracy that the country is now enjoying.