Pretoria - In an effort to reduce the number of fires during the winter period, the Tshwane Community Safety Department launched a Basic Emergency Safety and Fire Education (BESAFE) centre in Soshanguve, Kopanong Section.
The centre, situated at the Council's Komiki Motubatse Hall, comprises of a tin container that has been turned into a model house.
The house is used to demonstrate how various household appliances should be handled in order that unnecessary fires could be avoided.
These include gas stoves, electrical appliances and paraffin stoves.
"Most of the fires in informal settlement are often caused by poor handling of paraffin stoves and lamps, gas canisters that burst, and faulty electrical appliances, especially illegal connections," the department said.
The centre is part of the Fire Brigade Service's Public Information, Education and Relations (PIER) programme.
Through this programme the Fire Brigade Services embarks on educational and public awareness campaigns to educate communities about the dangers of fire, how to avoid disasters, and how to handle fires.